7411 Hoadly Road
Manassas, VA 20112
Phone: 703.791.0727 Fax: 703.791.0977
ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT 2016-17
The Benton Middle School Athletic Department welcomes you! We look forward to an exciting year of competition as the “Benton Cougars” in our school colors of purple and gold. Benton Middle School will be competing in the Central Division, to include Beville MS, Hampton MS, Lake Ridge MS and Saunders MS.
All Participants MUST have a current Athletic Physical and a Concussion Training Card on file with the athletic department in order to try out for any sport.
Guidelines for Academic and Conduct Eligibility:
Middle School students who wish to try out for any athletic team must meet the county guidelines for academic and conduct eligibility.
- All grade six students are eligible for Season 1 try outs.
- All 7th & 8th grade students must meet the county’s academic eligibility standards for Season 1 try outs based on their 4th quarter grades for the 2015-16 school year.
- All grade levels must meet county requirements to be eligible for try outs for seasons 2, 3 & 4.
- A student is placed on academic probation and is ineligible for try outs/participation in sports if he/she has received an “F” in two or more subject areas.
- A student is placed on conduct probation if he/she has received a “U” in two or more subject areas.
- Interim reports will allow academically and/or conduct ineligible students meeting eligibility requirements to try out for the next sport season.
- To be considered as current, Athletic Physicals must be dated May 1 of the current school year to June 30 of the succeeding year.
- The 2016-17 REQUIRED Athletic Physical Forms are available in our middle school office and can be downloaded from Benton’s web site.
- Athletic Physical Exams will be offered at Benton Middle School on Thursday, August 25, 2016, starting at 3 p.m. The cost is $27.00, all checks made payable to “Family Medicine.”
- Policy 759 Middle school students who are trying out for a sport for their first time in middle school or are new to Prince William County Public Schools must attend a face-to-face concussion training WITH THEIR PARENT/GUARDIAN at one of the county's middle schools.
- Take note of start times. Plan to arrive early and stay to complete the entire session. Doors will be closed once the training begins. Late arriving parents and students will not be permitted in the training once it has started.
Benton Middle School will be hosting Concussion Training on the following dates:
Thursday, August 25, 2016 @ 7 p.m.
Wednesday, November 2, 2016 @ 7 p.m.
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 @ 7 p.m.
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 @ 7 p.m.
Tryout Schedule for 2016-17
*Please refer to our web page as dates may be adjusted due to inclement weather, etc.
Try outs for all sports are limited to three specific days. Participants should attend all three days. All try outs will be from approximately 3:05 p.m. to 5:05 p.m. Students must be picked up PROMPTLY (no later than 5:30 p.m.). All Participants MUST have a current Athletic Physical and a Concussion Training Card on file with the athletic department in order to try out for any sport.
(Sept. - Oct.) 2016
Grades 6, 7, 8 Football and Girls Track Tryouts 8/30/16
Grades 6, 7, 8 Volleyball and Boys Soccer Tryouts 8/30/16
(Nov. - Dec. - Jan.) 2016-17
Grades 6, 7 J.V. Basketball (Girls) Tryouts 11/9/16
Grade 8 Varsity Basketball (Girls) Tryouts 11/9/16
(Jan. - Feb. - Mar.) 2017
Grades 6, 7 J.V. Basketball (Boys) Tryouts 1/23/17
Grade 8 Varsity Basketball (Boys) Tryouts 1/23/17
Grades 6, 7, 8 Wrestling Tryouts 1/23/17
(Mar. - April - May) 2017
Grades 6, 7, 8 Baseball Tryouts 3/20/17
Grades 6, 7, 8 Girls Soccer Tryouts 3/20/17
Grades 6, 7, 8 Softball Tryouts 3/20/17
Grades 6, 7, 8 Boys Track Tryouts 3/20/17
(Season September - Mar.) 2016 -17
Girls/Boys: Grades 6, 7, 8 Tryouts 9/13/16
(Season November - Mar.) 2016 -17
Girls/Boys: Grades 6, 7, 8 Tryouts TBA